Thursday, June 11, 2009

Recipes: Tried and True

I've been cooking again. In spurts, that's how cooking comes to me. Good luck found me last week, in the form of fresh-picked (2 hours off the plant) strawberries. LOVE me some strawberries! I scored probably fifty or so and knew they would go bad before Hayden and I could eat them all. I did what any mama with common sense would do, I found a recipe and made bread, strawberry bread that is.



I used whole wheat flour (it's all I had) and was surprised that the bread turned out as tasty as it did. Not sure why but I thought it might taste bland with the whole wheat flour. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't sweet, but I wasn't looking for sweet. I was looking for a filling breakfast bread, and that is what I got. Dense with a hint of strawberry. I wanted it to go with the fruit salad I made and it did, wonderfully.

We eat at home every night, we rarely go out to eat. Either he cooks or I cook, every night. I have a few meals that I can throw together quickly and know that in the end they will taste as if I have slaved over them all day. Take my hamburger casserole for example. With a prep time of about 20 minutes I can have the casserole on the table in less than one hour, and it seriously tastes great.

Recipe:
1 pound hamburger meat
1/2 large onion
1/2 large bell (green) pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
Mushrooms, chopped (I use about 5 big ones)
1 1/2 cups egg noodles
Ritz crackers
Butter

~ The amounts listed are approximate as I don't actually measure the ingredients, I simply guess.

Preheat oven to 350.
Brown hamburger meat while cooking noodles.
Add onion, pepper (bell, green), garlic, salt and black pepper to meat. (I like to add these ingredients to the meat just before it has browned, adds flavor I think.)
Drain grease from meat mixture and water from noodles.
In a casserole dish combine the meat mixture, noodles, mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup.
Melt butter in a separate bowl.
Crumble crackers into melted butter.
Sprinkle top of casserole with cracker crumbs.
Bake for 25 minutes or until crackers are toasty.

Unfortunately, I do not have a photo to go along with this recipe. Take my word for it though, it is as appealing to the eyes as it is the nose and mouth.

This weekend I will attempt to make something that should be equally delicious, Martha Stewart's Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Icing. Oh my! I will post photos later, along with what I anticipate will be a raving review.

No comments: