Tuesday, October 28, 2008

BOO!

Halloween is upon us yet again, which to me means that the Holidaze are creeping up as well. This year, however, we have a little baby in our house to share them with. How cool is that? Hayden actually won't have a damn clue what is going on. I'm sure the next couple of months will come and go without her so much as giving a second thought as to why mama and daddy are dressed like a black-eyed pea and a hunter who had a run-in with a nasty bear, or why there is a dead bird sitting in the middle of the Thanksgiving spread, or even why a huge man (papaw) is trying like hell to get her attention while shouting ho ho ho at the top of his lungs. Now, next year at this time...look out!

We are having a little post-Halloween party at the crib this weekend. My mom is planning it, I admittedly, haven't contributed very much. I do know that there is going to be a chili cook-off, some bobbing for apples and a costume contest. The winner will receive an all-inclusive getaway to nowhere. I desperately want to win. I so want to go nowhere, you know, just so I can say I've been there. No, I am pretty sure the lucky winner will get some free lottery scratch offs. Those always go over well. The only gimmick: if you win you must pay forward the winnings to the host of said party before departing for the evening.

The weather has been down right fall-like, chilly in the shade, warm in the sun. We have had a couple of cold days but nothing that will make breaking out the long johns worth while. Hopefully, the nice weather will hang around through this weekend. This year the change in season, from summer to fall, seems more gradual. I am not left wondering what the hell happened to fall? The leaves changing is taking weeks, not days. No complaining out of me. I love autumn...a second spring.





I have started making Hayden a transitional object, a small blanket made from her outgrown clothes. It is shaping up quite nicely. I only have one side pieced together and am not sure how I am going to go about finishing the other side, as a solid, soft piece of fabric or individual pieces. I think it may be a bit larger than I intended it to be. Things like this end up taking me much longer to complete than expected, not sure why. I do have time at night to work on something but I end up going to bed early. If I pushed myself to stay up until 10 every night I would have the blanket finished in a few days. Maybe I will try and do that, see what happens, live on the wild side. My purpose for making her this blanket is to try and convince her to give up her pacifier in exchange for a new and improved soother. I'll see how that goes, I'm sure she will be thinking...to hell with your purpose woman, give me that paci! We shall see.

She is quite the character nowadays, but I will save that for another post.


1 comment:

connie said...

HEATHER YOU ARE A WONDERFUL MOTHER..I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH..I'M HERE FOR YOU ...YOU JUST CALL OUT MY NAME AND YOU KNOW WHERE EVER I'AM I'LL COME RUNNING... MAMA