Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Briefing: Life: 6 Months In

Dear Hayden,
I have decided to write to you ever so often so that our life together can be read time and time again; because it is such a sweet life, baby. I had intentions to sit down and pour my heart out last week, on August 18th, the day you turned 6 months old. That day came and brought your cousin Isaiah, my brother's son, to us, exactly 6 months from the day you were born.

You now have a playmate that you can grow up with, one with a full head of hair (better to yank and pull him around with). Soon Hayden, you will have another cousin to run wild with. My sister, Elizabethe, is going to have a baby next February, expected within days of the day you arrived. Wouldn't it be quite a cooincidence if he or she came on your birthday, which was also your Mamaw Tidwell's birthday? Yes, you were born on your great grandmother's birthday, and your great Papaw John calls you little Ruthie for that reason. Not to make excuses for not writing last Monday, but we have been busy, both of us, visiting Isaiah and of course...shopping (you have remarkable taste, so we take you along), thanks to nanny.
If someone had told me in February that you would be the little person you are today I wouldn't have believed them. I would have told them they were full of dookie, dog poop, horse caca, you get the point. You amaze me! I am so proud of what you have accomplished in your short time here. At 6 months old you are fierce, girl! Your personality is blatently obvious and you let it shine when given the opportunity. When you talk (you don't really talk just yet, but trust me, everyone hears what you are barking, little pup) everyone listens. You have each and every one of us wrapped so tightly around your finger it is cutting off the circulation. Don't worry though, mama will kiss it and make it all better.
You start your day bright and early, after a night that neither your daddy nor I can complain about. You choose your bed time, that being anywhere between 7-8:30, depending on your mood. Your mood is directly related to the amount of time you choose to devote to sleeping during the day. Unfortunately, your devotion isn't what we hoped it would be at this age; you might nap for an hour and a half throughout the day, that is on a good day. Those are the days you make it to 8:30, those days do not happen as often as I would like. I long for more time with you, Hayden. I get you to myself for only a few hours in the evening throughout the week. However, the weekends are ours, if I can manage to keep you from your nanny and papaw. We all love you so much, Hayden, we can't get enough of you. You are so much fun, you keep each of us young. You make us roll with laughter, the older you get the funnier you are.
You are entirely me made over, or so papaw says. If that is the case you will be walking in about 3 months. I keep telling your daddy that we are in for it once you are mobile. It won't be long either. You are well on your way to moving about on your own. Already you roll over (both ways), sit up, position yourself on your hands and knees...you try your hardest to crawl but can't do so just yet (I am somewhat thankful for that, although I can not wait to see you coordinate your arms and legs and take off).

However, you can get to wherever it is you want to be. You are in the process of figuring out how to sit yourself back up after you have fallen over onto your back and rolled to your tummy. Watching you teach yourself is so intriguing. You have learned so much in such a short time. Hayden, you have taught me so much in that same space in time. I know everything about you there is to know. Of course I do, I am your mama. At 4 months old, with the approval of your doctor, we started you on rice cereal. You really enjoyed it, especially when it was mixed with pear juice. Rather quickly you began eating vegetables and fruits. Here is a list of the foods you like and dislike:
LIKES: Peas, Carrots, Squash, Green Beans, Sweet Potatoes, Bananas, Applesauce, Pears, and even Lemons (we only feed you lemons when we are having a bad day and need a laugh, at your expense, I know, terrible parents, but you actually like them despite your facial expressions)...
DISLIKES: Peaches!
You are actually a very good eater, the proof is in your weight, 16 pounds at your 6 moth visit. That's up almost 10 pounds from your birth weight. I fed you chicken noodle dinner from Gerber the other night and you almost didn't breath throughout the entire meal. I would have puked from eating so fast. But, I can't make you eat slow, you determine the pace at which you eat. The reason I say this is because you will cry, squeal, give the wild eye, flap your wings and threaten to fly away if I slow down while shoveling food in your mouth.

You don't find all of this very funny, but the rest of us think it is hysterical. Yes, there are funny times and they pass way too quickly. There are times when I just want the hands of the clock to stop, moments when I close my eyes and hold time still in my head. These are the moments that I thank God he made me your mama. I love you Hayden, I love how you lay your head on my shoulder when you are tired and finish rubbing your big, beautiful, hazel eyes. I love how you reach for me when you want to be close. I love to bathe you and put my nose to your head and smell your sweet smell while you eat your final meal before bed. I love the sound of your giggle when papaw is blowing zerberts on your belly. I love the smile that breaks across your face when I sing our song. I love so many things about you baby, I can't possibly list them all here. I love the way you love.
Hayden, you are my sunshine, you always will be. You make me smile, I smile when you smile. You smile almost all the time, it's a gorgeous, happy smile, one that has two little teeth shining brightly for all to see. You are changing so much, right before my eyes. Please stop, I beg you. I can not wait to see the little girl you are destined to become, but I do not want the baby you are to grow up. I pray that you need me the way that I need you...for the rest of your life.

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

connie said...

HEATHER I READ YOUR STORY..YOU ARE SO GOOD WITH WORDS.. I READ THIS TO YOUR DADDY AN HE CRY..I LOVE WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH THIS..I HOPE THINGS ARE GOING BETTER FOR YOU NOW...LOVE YOU..MAMA